Teesside Hackspace is run entirely by its members and, on the whole, this works pretty well. As hackers we hate making rules almost as much as we hate following them, so we really want to keep the number of rules to a minimum. We can only do this if members and visitors observe the spirit -- not just the letter -- of these rules; they are here firstly for your safety, and secondly to prevent annoyance to other users of the space.
In addition to these rules, all members and visitors are expected to observe the Code of Conduct.
- Do not be on fire.
- Don't use tools unless you're sure you know how to do so safely. If you see someone working in an unsafe way, it's your duty to stop them and let them know.
- Don't defeat or hack safety features/equipment. This is for other people's safety as much as yours.
- Check the wiki for instructions. Read the warnings. If in doubt, ask.
- If something is broken, fix it; don't complain. If you can't fix it, tell the trustees ASAP.
- If you're doing something major, ask the mailing list first.
- Do not treat the Hackspace like your home, it is a shared space. Sleeping anywhere on Hackspace property is forbidden.
- Members are allowed to store personal items in the space, but they must be kept in one of the plastic boxes, labelled with your name and membership number. One box per member. Empty boxes may be recycled for other members if needed. See also: Storage.
- Larger/more items may be allowed, but please note that space is limited. You must fill out a storage request first. When your request is approved items should be clearly labelled as yours with a Do Not Hack sticker. Read Detailed Guide Here: Bringing Items To The Space
Donating, Loaning, or Borrowing Items
- Carefully consider the true usefulness of an item before bringing it to the space. Disposal requires effort and space is limited. Seek permission for large items.
- If you're leaving something and you would rather it was not mercilessly ripped apart, please label it accordingly.
- Likewise, if something looks expensive or useful please don't mercilessly rip it apart without asking first.
- Don't remove tools from the space without asking the mailing list first.
- Workbenches should be completely clean when you leave - be considerate for the next user. Please put tools back where you found them.
- Clean your dirty cups and dishes before leaving the space. Don't leave them in the sink.
- Any items left on a workbench overnight become fair game. Put your stuff back in your box.
- If you have engaged in any waste generating activity (e.g. peeling wires), hoover the spot.
- Please do not bring bikes into the space unless you are working on them, they take up too much room.
- If you think something should be thrown out, put it in the outgoing trash box. Two weeks later the box will go in the bin.
- If something is too big to fit in the trash box, you should probably post to the list about it.
- If you want to throw something away which looks useful, make sure the mailing list is informed well in advance. (Also see: Storage#Disposal)
Smoking and Alcohol
- Our Lease doesn't allow alcohol in the Hackspace room. Please keep drinking to one of the many nearby pubs for now.
- If you want to smoke (or vape), please do so outside the building.